Wednesday 19 September 2012

Sunkissed in the spring

I can not believe how fast it is to make up a lap/toddler sized quilt. I started this on friday and finished it on tuesday. And most of that was taken up by ripping out seams as I sewed everything wrong at least twice. That will teach me to not get so excited and just sew. Everything that could go wrong with this quilt did, I sewed the wrong sides (long rather then short) for every single strip, so out comes the seam ripper. Then I sewed all the long rows together without pinning so the quilt ended up being more of an obtruse rectangle in size with corners that didn't match up, so out comes the seam ripper. Then after pinning and sewing beautiful perfect straight lines I realised that I had sewn some strips the wrong way, out comes the seam ripper again :). The one good thing about this was that I found a few new TV shows to watch. The bad thing was that I had to get out the vacuum twice as I couldn't stand all the threads that were covering the lounge, the floor and the everywhere else.

I used a jelly roll of Sunkissed by Sweetwater for Moda and a few scraps. It was so easy to make a scrappy quilt using a jelly roll. The only problem I found is that I was limited to what I could do. Maybe if I do decide to purchase the whole range, next time I'll go for the jelly roll (2.5 x 44 inch strips) and a charm pack (5 inch squares) or maybe just a layer cake (ten inch squares).

I used fabric from the same range for both the binding and the backing.



 And I finished the quilt just in time as I received some of Tula Pinks birds and the bees in the mail so now i'm on to my next quilt :).

On another note I made one more addition to the mermaids. I made this one a tiny bit bigger as I was having trouble with the hair of the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment